Did you know that September is Hunger Action Month?
Hunger is the #1 health risk in the world and here in the US, 1 in every 6 people struggles with hunger. Unlike other countries where food is scarce, in the US hunger isn’t caused by a lack of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty. Close to 70% of low income families are faced to make a choice between food or utility bills. Studies have shown that a lack of nutrition decreases a person’s ability to study, work, while increasing both physical and psychological health problems. That’ s why we’re so passionate about sharing these 5 affordable fashion gifts that give a portion of their sales to hunger relief organizations across the country:
1. HalfUnited Fashion Accessories ($17-$50) Half united fashion accessories donates a week’s worth of meals to a child in need with each product purchase. Founded by a former intern at Toms, the accessory brand has given over 150 thousands meals to children since 2010.
2. FeedProjects ($60-$225) Every product sold has a measurable donation attached to it. To date, the social business has been able to provide over 87 million meals globally through the WFP and Feeding America.FEED has also supported nutrition programs around the world, providing over 3.6 million children with Vitamin A supplements.
3. Nashelle Accessories ($38-$150) Using recycled precious metals, and handmade in the US, Nashelle donates one plate of food for every piece of jewelry sold. Selling earrings, bracelets, necklaces, chains, charms, and personalized jewelry. Customers also have the choice to shop for other causes, like anti-bullying campaigns and cancer relief organizations. Since their launch, 120,000 plates of food have been donated nationwide.
4. ProjectFashion (Starting at $9)Do you have clothes in your closet that you’ve been meaning to give away? Instead, sell them at ProjectFashion.com and donate a portion of the profits to nationwide food banks. Request a free bag or pre-paid mailing label and send your unwanted clothing, shoes and accessories (in good condition) to FashionProject. They will take photos of your items and post them for sale on their website. Once your items sell on Fashion Project, up to 55% of the net proceeds will go to support an amazing charity of your choice. Up to date, ProjectFashion has raised $745,533 for charity, supported 2,017 different charities, and donated 329,685 items.
5. FedbyThreads ($17-$150) A company that prides itself on being both fabulous and fair. They sell t-shirts and apparel for men, women, and babies. Their website also allows shoppers to customize t-shirts and order in bulk, for business uniforms, organizations, or people that just want to be creative and design their own tees. Up to date, 356,396 meals fed nationwide. Each piece is made in America in sweatshop-free factories, with organic & sustainable materials and donates 12 emergency meals via food banks across the country.